tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 14 08:49:12 2010

RE: jISIv

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

QeS:
>Even so, I'm not convinced {qaSpu'mo' tup 'ar} is appropriate. It feels
>indirect, too much like an attempt to render the English too closely.
>You wouldn't really be late because five minutes happened (since the
>minutes will tick on anyway); you'd be late because you were sick,
>because the shuttlecraft was late, or whatever.
>
>Now that I think about it, I wonder if {tup 'armo'} might be a little
>better, using the type 5 noun suffix {-mo'} instead of the type 9 verb
>suffix. "I am late because of how many minutes?"

{'ar} is a question word, not a noun, so it would have to be {tupmo' 'ar...}

>Still don't think I like it much, but what do you think?

Another unsatisfactory version to through in to the discussion:

  jIpaSpu';  poH yIper!
  I was late; specify the period of time!
  (i.e.  How late was I?)

Okrand has used {per} "label, ascertain, specify, pin down" with time expressions on st.k (2/99):

  rep yIper!
  Ascertain the hour! Specify the hour! (i.e. "What time is it?")
  ["This is literally "Label the hour!"]

but I don't know if Klingons use {poH} this way.  They may well answer "this morning" - which could also be the answer to {ghorgh jIpaSpu'?}

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level