tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 13 05:13:56 2010

jISIv

lojmIt tI'wI' nuv ([email protected])

Today, I thought I might be late. I said to myself, "How late will I be?"

I considered how I would say that in Klingon.

I rejected {'ar jIpaS} because, though an English speaker would understand it, grammatically, I've only seen {'ar} used adjectivally, not adverbially. It might make sense as {tup 'ar jIpaS}, though that is, itself, an odd grammatical construction, as would be {tup 'ar vIpaS}. One has no grammatical connection between {tup} and the verb. The other uses an adjectival verb transitively, and Okrand generally tends not to do that. I could even stretch it to {qaSpu'mo' tup 'ar jIpaS?} It's a little awkward, but it carries the meaning clearly enough.

So, I thought the best way might be simply to say, {tugh jIpaSqu' 'e' vISIv}.

Feedback? Other suggestions?

pItlh.
lojmIt tI'wI' nuv

Back to archive top level