tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Oct 28 07:59:30 2010

RE: A request for assistance

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Felix Malmenbeck wrote:

>ghItlhta' Jlyeater
>> what about tlhoghnay', a fragrant night-blooming flower?
>
>Is this a tlhIngan Hol spelling of Throgni (mentioned in "Star Trek:
>Federation Travel Guide")?

I don't think there is one.  I usually spell it *{tlhoghnI'} because I seem to recall Michael Dorn pronounced it /throg-nee/ in TNG "Angel One".  (But I wouldn't swear to it.)  Also, my spelling may contain the morphemes {tlhogh} "marriage" and {nI'} "be long/lengthy in duration".  Worf didn't say that the Throgni had any romantic overtones (like the rose), but I thought he had a somewhat wistful expression during the scene.  (Remember, years before Worf asked K'Ehleyr to "take the oath" and marry him but she turned him down.  Perhaps he offered her a Throgni?)

Another flower I don't believe anyone's mentioned:  *thranx* {tlheng'IQ}.  This is a brand-new official spelling Okrand coined for the opera {'u'}, which debuted in the Netherlands just last month.  The *thranx* flowers once every eight years (described in the pro-novel KAHLESS by Michael Jan Friedman, p.60).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level