tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 19 07:52:57 2010

Re: A phrase for the love of Klingons!

qurgh lungqIj ([email protected])

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Steven Boozer <[email protected]>wrote:
> You're thinking in English.  You don't need {-ta'} on {ghaH}, it's just a
> simple past tense (he was a Klingon, he is a Klingon, etc.).  We do have a
> single example of a perfective suffix on a pronoun:
>
>  pa' jIHpu'be'
>  I wasn't there. TKD
>
> so if you insist on making it perfective, you can use {-pu'}.  OTOH {-ta'}
> "accomplished" implies that "an activity was deliberately undertaken, the
> implication being that someone set out to do something and in fact did it"
> (TKD 41).  For that matter is a pronoun-as-verb actually an "activity"
> (which I take to mean an action verb, not a quality)?
>
> Now that you've dropped the {-ta'} you can highlight the contrast with
> {-law'} "apparently" by using another Type 6 suffix like {-ba'} "obviously"
> or {-bej} "certainly, undoubtedly, definitely".
>
> Also consider other verbs:  e.g. {Da} "behave as, act in the manner of",
> {ghet} "pretend", {Qaq} "behave falsely honorably, behave in a falsely
> honorable manner":
>
>  tlhIngan ghaH 'e' vIHar 'ach verengan Da bangwI''e'!

The way I interpreted it was that she wanted to believe he was Klingon and
it had been accomplished in her mind but, due to the new things she has
seen, she doubting herself and now sees him as a Ferengi. She is saying this
line to him as an insult and is being slightly sarcastic at the same time.

According to TKD the aspect suffix affects the whole sentence, not just the
verb in the first part:

tlhIngan ghaHta' bangwI''e' vIHar
I believe my beloved is a Klingon <- This act, which she set out to do, had
been accomplished

But new information is causing her to doubt this situation.

Maybe I'm off base, anyone got a third opinion?

qurgh

Back to archive top level