tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 29 11:04:45 2010

Klingon dates again

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Okrand's "Message to Kronos":
poH tuj bI'reS nungbogh wa' jaj qeylIS DIS chorghvatlh loSmaH jav
 qaStaHvIS. [sic!]
In the days that follow the summer solstice in the Year of Kahless 846.

>naHQun:
>> 846? I thought we were in 636. Huh.
>> (I'm willing to be wrong on this point)

Voragh:
>For those interested, our only known Klingon date comes from DS9
>"Soldiers of the Empire":
>Worf said that the IKS Rotarran's mission began on the "53rd day of the
>year of Kahless 999". (Was that 2373 CE?)
>
>FWIW Keith R.A. DeCandido (who consults with Okrand) pegs the events of
>his 2004 novel _I.K.S. Gorkon, Book 3: Enemy Territory_ as occurring mid
>Year of Kahless 1001, late 2376 Federation year, 10 months after the
>events of the last episode of DS9.

naHQun:
>Keith and I were discussing his Klingon year calculations earlier this
>month.
>He took the information presented in SotE and adds and subtracts from
>that starting point, Yes, that was 2373 (what does CE mean?)

Common Era - used by people wanting to avoid saying the Christian declarations A.D. ("Anno Domini") or B.C. ("Before Christ") when referring to dates, especially in the Middle East.

>As he's in no hurry to do lots of math, the years are the same length.
>(The Klingon year /may/ begin mid-November...)
>He has used this system in multiple novels, and others have used it in
>their novels as well.
>It has become the de facto conversion rate for the novels.
>
>(If anyone wants, I can post the various years listed in the novels)

If DeCandido has come up with any month names, please do.

For those interested, more hints about Klingon dates:

KGT 205f.:  ... the length of a Klingon day, month, or year is not the same as the Terran counterpart. Calculating the length of a Klingon day, month, or year is not at all a straightforward exercise, but suffice it to say that a period of five months is not the same amount of time as a period of {vagh jarmey}.

{QI'lop}, the holiday honoring the Klingon military, occurs in the tenth Klingon month. (PK)

Alexander was born on the 43rd day of Maktag. (TNG "New Ground")

The {batlh jaj} is held on the 4th day of the 9th month. (VOY "Day of Honor")

Kohlar asked the pregnant B'Elanna, "Did you conceive during the holy month of Nay'Poq?" (VOY "Prophecy")

Lo'Bral, Soo'jen, Merruthj and Xan'lahr are months "in the Year of Kahless" sequence from Michael A. Martin & Andy Mangels' 2007 novel _Excelsior: Forged in Fire_.

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level