tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 26 11:40:51 2010

RE: mu' chu'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Voragh:
>> Time for the ritual post-qep'a' question:  Any new words from Okrand
>this year?

ghunchu'wI':
>A cadre of grammarians had the opportunity to preview a section of a
>Klingon opera. In it we noted a smattering of tlhIngan Hol spellings
>for names of various places, people, and plants. Someone wrote them
>down, but I did not think them important enough at the time to record

This was something Okrand is working or consulting on?

>them myself. I do recall that {Suto'vo'qor} was confirmed as correct.

It's nice to pin that one down.

For the newcomers, {Suto'vo'qor} is the spelling first used by Keith R.A. DeCandido in his 2001 novel _Diplomatic Implausibility_ and in his later IKS Gorkon series.  DeCandido acknowledges Okrand's help with his Klingon, but we were never completely sure whether all of his tlhIngan Hol spellings were approved or if any were coined after he had consulted with Okrand.

>There were three nouns we had not seen before:
>
>  maQ      "omen, sign"
>  ruS      "bond", as between blood brothers
>  chalqach "tower"
>
>The first two give standalone meanings to already-existing morphemes
>(see {maQmIgh} and {ruStay} in TKD). A running joke has been going for
>many years about wanting a word for "deluxe apartment in the sky"; we
>now know to say {chalqach pa''a'}. :)

Nice use of {-'a'}.

>We also saw an apparently adverbial {wa'DIch}, confirming that the
>{wa'DIch jagh'e' wIHeghmoHmo'} line in {taHjaj wo'} is appropriate
>usage.

Some have also wondered about SkyBox card S15:

  wa'DIch tlhIngan Dujmey luleghlu'pu'bogh rur qItI'nga' Duj.
   tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH wej HochHom lo'lu'taH
  Similar in configuration to the first Klingon vessels encountered,
   the K'Tinga-class remained in use for most of the 23rd century.

in which {wa'DIch} appears in the adverbial slot.  They see {wa'DIch} as an adverbial with the first sentence meaning something like "the K'Tinga-class resemble the Klingon ships which were encountered first" or the like.

I've always thought this is most likely a typo - probably by the SkyBox people - for {tlhIngan Dujmey wa'DIch} "the first Klingon vessels" which is what appears in the English source text.

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level