tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 26 11:44:29 2010

Re: jatlhwI'pu Holtejpu' je

Tracy Canfield ([email protected])

Doq is obviously directing this at me, since he makes dismissive
remarks about my parser - a parser he's never seen, so I can't imagine
on what grounds he's evaluated it.

Calling people stupid?  I've never done this.  Arguing for an
interpretation of a grammar point?  I've asked questions - and a
search through my sent messages shows that I've thanked people for
information and for corrections.  I can't find that I've ever argued
for anything.  I can't find that I've ever declared anything.  I can't
find that I've ever asked for anything other than answers about things
that weren't clear to me from the canonical sources - certainly not
for any kind of recognition or leadership.  The only thing I've done
is try to get a clearer understanding of Klingon from people who've
worked with it more.

And in return for coming here and asking questions, I get treated to
lectures like this one, which have absolutely no relationship to
anything I've ever done, said, or posted here.  It is immensely
frustrating for people to attribute to me words I've never said, and
then berate me for saying them.

It seems to me that it simply does not matter what I do or say here.
I'm going to be subjected to this kind of abuse just for being a
linguist, like we're some sort of hive mind, and if one of us did
something you don't care for, you might as well just take it out on
the nearest one.

Finally, I've personally watched experienced Klingon speakers turning
to the iPhone and other electronic dictionaries, or even print
dictionaries, when they needed a word that wasn't coming to mind.
There've been at least two Klingon parsers within the community -
d'Armond Speers's pojwI', and another - I'm afraid I've forgotten the
author - that was written up in HolQeD.  These sorts of tools clearly
have a place in the Klingon community, and I don't see why there
wouldn't be room for another one that goes further.

2010/1/23 d'Armond Speers, Ph.D. <[email protected]>:

> Beautifully written and clearly expressed.  The only thing that I would add, from the perspective of the linguist, is that linguists expect languages to behave certain ways because, well, they do.  But Klingon doesn't necessarily, because its origin is artificial, not the product of normal language acquisition processes, but the process of human invention.  This is part of the reason that linguists who study the language get confused, because their normal assumptions can only carry them so far.  The real test for the linguist studying Klingon is to recognize linguistic signposts when they see them, but not to make assumptions about features of the language beyond what is extant.  It is extremely easy to fall into that trap, and I did it as recently as this past year, on the list (I was asking questions based upon assumptions of Universal Grammar).
>
> --Holtej
>
> On Jan 23, 2010, at 11:59 AM, Doq wrote:
>
>> wej De'wI'mey vIghaj, 'ach QIntetlhvam naw'laH wa' De'wI'vam neH. vaj qub vISuchmeH wanI'. wanI'vam vItaghDI' Sochvatlh QInmey vItu'. jIDoy'.
>>
>> I don't write here often anymore, and that is unlikely to change. I've forgotten the password to this account and one computer has it memorized for me. It's not a computer I use that often anymore; it's getting a bit long in the tooth and when it goes, so do I. So, I'll write a longer message this time than I usually allow myself.
>>
>> One of the topics that has come up recently is the attitude that linguists relatively new to the list discover here. There's a history for that. One of the more interestingly unique aspects of the Klingon language is the population of its speakers.
>>
>> The Klingon language was invented and developed by a linguist. The person who started the Klingon Language Institute is also a linguist. Note that neither of them is particularly spectacular at actually speaking the language. They both openly admit this. They have gotten good enough at it, but it took them an uncommonly long time.
>>
>> While there are exceptions to any generality, Klingon has one very noticeable quirk when it comes to its speakers. Not all, but most of them fall into one of three categories:
>>
>> 1. Linguists
>>
>> 2. Star Trek fans
>>
>> 3. Computer programmers and tech support engineers.

> [...]

Back to archive top level