tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 23 12:55:29 2010

Re: More Shakespeare please

Doq ([email protected])

I'd like to share my vision of a performance of this scene from MacBeth for whatever few might enjoy the mental image.

It starts with an empty stage, except for one candle on a pedestal at face height, center stage. Macbeth enters, but stands in the darkness.

He says ponderously, {naQpu'DI' Hoch tamey}, then pauses.

{poHvetlh'e'!}

He is pondering eternity. Another pause. He begins to walk toward the outer reaches of the flame's illumination, staring at it.

{tlhetlhtaHvIS Hoch jajmey...} and shifts his eyes downward to the floor between him and the candle. He begins to take a step as he roars an extended {QIt}, and then takes slow, unsteady steps while saying {HeHomvamDaq yItHa'taH} takes a step {wa'leS}, another step {cha'leS} and another {wejleS, je}.

He twists around to look behind himself. {'ej qoHpu'vaD HeHomvam lu'angpu' Hoch Hu'meyraj.}

He twists back to stare into the flame. His face becomes even more serious. {Hegh chIm 'oH ghoch'e'.}

He steps up to the candle and puts his palm behind it to reflect more out to the audience.

{yInlI' qulHom ngaj.} He smiles and with his other hand, he points to his heart. {qulHomvam jIH}.

He turns somber again, lowers his hand from the flame and says, {tugh rInjaj.}

He turns to the audience and bellows {jIyInaHvIS DawI' nong vIrur.}

He turns to the candle and more quietly says, {qoH lut vIjatlh, ghIq...} and blows out the candle. {... not jIjatlhqa'laH.}

In the darkness, he turns and walks away, saying {chuSqu' lut, 'ach ramchu'}

All my mind's a stage and all ideas, merely players.

Doq

Back to archive top level