tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 23 11:53:06 2010

Re: More Shakespeare please

Doq ([email protected])

I shouldn't do this. I know I  shouldn't do this. It is essentially poetry. Translating poems always involves a huge, dangerous leap.

On Jan 23, 2010, at 7:23 AM, Fiat Knox wrote:

> Ne'er mind Hamlet. Has anybody translated anything from Macbeth?
>
> "Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow
> Creeps in this petty pace from day to day
> Til the last syllable of recorded time.

naQpu'DI' Hoch tamey -- poHvetlh'e' tlhetlhtaHvIS Hoch jajmey, QQQQIIIIIIt HeHomvamDaq yItHa'taH wa'leS, cha'leS, wejleS je.

> And all our yesterdays light fools the way to dusty death.

'ej qoHpu'vaD HeHomvam lu'angpu' Hoch Hu'meymaj. Hegh chIm 'oH ghoch'e'.

> Out, out, brief candle, life is but a walking shadow,
> A poor player who struts and frets his hour upon the stage
> Then is heard no more.
> It is a tale told by an idiot,
> Full of sound and fury,
> Signifying nothing."

yInlI' qulHom ngaj. qulHomvam jIH. tugh rInjaj.
jIyIntaHvIS DawI' nong vIrur. qoH lut vIjatlh ghIq not jIjatlhqa'laH.
chuSqu' lut 'ach ramchu'.

> - Macbeth, Act 5, Scene 5
>
> Or indeed Prospero's lines from The Tempest:-
>
> "Our revels now are ended. These our actors,
> As I foretold you, were all spirits and
> Are melted into air, into thin air:
> And, like the baseless fabric of this vision,
> The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces,
> The solemn temples, the great globe itself,
> Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve
> And, like this insubstantial pageant faded,
> Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff
> As dreams are made on, and our little life
> Is rounded with a sleep."
> - The Tempest, Act 4, Scene 1

Back to archive top level