tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 22 09:57:49 2010

RE: jatlh vs. ja'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Quvar:
>>> I do not intend to flatter you, but I also tend to use {ja'} more like
>>> "report" or "tell a story", while {jatlh} is the "action of talking".

SuStel:
>>Specifically, {ja'} "tell, report" seems to refer to informing and
>>ordering, while {jatlh} "speak, say" has a more general meaning of
>>speech of any kind.

lay'tel SIvten:
>To me it's all about the kind of object I want the verb to have. If I
>want to mention the audience spoken to (patient), I use {ja'}. If I
>want to mention the spoken utterance or language itself (focus), then
>I use {jatlh}.

Both {ja'} and {jatlh} can be used for mentioning the spoken utterance.  Okrand writes in TKD (p. 67):

  Similarly, with verbs of saying (say, tell, ask, etc.), {'e'} and
  {net} are not used. The two phrases simply follow one another, in
  either order:

    {qaja'pu' HIqaghQo'} or {HIqaghQo' qaja'pu'}
    I told you not to interrupt me.

  This is literally, "I told you, 'Don't interrupt me!'" or "'Don't
  interrupt me!' I told you."  [...] An aspect marker (here, {-pu'}
  "perfective") may always be attached to the verb of saying,
  regardless of whether it is the first or second verb.

Voragh:
|Finally, for those unfamiliar with the origin of {ja'}, marqoS tells
|us that in ST3:
|
|  The Klingon is {qama'pu' jonta' neH!}; the original script had the
|  English as "I told you: engine only!" ({qa-} "I/you"; *{ma'} "tell";
|  {-pu'} "perfective"; {jonta'} "engine"; {neH} "only"), but it got
|  rewritten in the subtitles to "I wanted prisoners! " ... The verb
|  {ma'}, meaning "to tell", was changed to {ja'} to remove the ambi-
|  guity of the sentence and make the substitution less obvious.

Mutatis mutandis, this becomes a variant of the TKD example above:

  qaja'pu' jonta' neH
  "I told you: engine only!"