tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Sep 30 13:27:29 2009

Re: na'ran rur [Re: Klingon WOTD: na' (verb)]

qe'San (Jon Brown) wrote:
> I suspect there is no further canon on the use of  {na'ran rur} but is there
> anything indicative of how to use it.
>
> How could I say or get close to saying, "Terrans enjoy eating sweet food".
>
> na'ran rurbogh Soj  -  food that resembles na'ran
> Soj luSop tera'gnan  -  Terran's eat food
> lutIv  -  They enjoy it
>
> na'ran rurbogh Soj luSop tera'gnan lutIv  - Terrans enjoy eating food which
> resembles na'ran..
>
> However that makes me think that it's the food that resembles naran rather
> than the flavour.  So rather than "food resmbles na'ran" would it be better
> to have taste in there somewhere:  "Terran's enjoy eating food whose taste
> resembles na'ran"  but that uses taste as a noun which I don't believe
> exists... so I'm lost there..

The passage on page 85 of KGT says, "The closest equivalent to 'sweet'
is probably {na'ran rur} ('resembles a /naran,/' a fruit whose juice is
sometimes added to sauces as a contrast to the other flavors.)" Nowhere
does the phrase ever talking about HOW something resembles a /naran/.
This suggests that the phrase {na'ran rur} automatically means "tastes
sweet."

Remember also that the words for tastes actually refers to the effect on
the senses and not a quality of the food itself, so if {na'ran rur} is
the closest you can get to "sweet," it must actually mean "tastes and
smells sweet."

Also, don't forget the pronoun {'e'}.

na'ran rurbogh Soj luSop tera'ngan 'e' lutIv.

--
SuStel
tlhIngan Hol MUSH

Back to archive top level