tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 28 08:08:06 2009

RE: Interrogative pronouns as verbs

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Doq wrote:
>> I was walking by a theatre and could only see the marquee listing
>> three of what I knew were six movies. I said to myself, {nuq 'oH
>> latlhmey'e'?} Then I wondered if I should have just said {latlhmey
>> nuq?}

Quvar:
>You are still thinking like a terran!
>A Klingon would just say {latlh?!}  ;-)
>
>I'm not just making this up: Hovleng vaghDIch yIqaw: nImbuS wejDaq vubpu'
>jonlu'DI', toQDujDaq mungmeyDaj ja' tlhIngan be'. 'ach Hoch pongbe'mo
>ghaH, vaj ghel HoD: {latlh?}

Here's the scene as I've transcribed it:

VIXIS: HoD, yo' SeHyaH nIvvo' potlh De' wIHevtaH.                 (?)
 (Captain, new data, hostages on Nimbus III.)                   [sic!]
 {Captain, we are receiving a priority message from Operations Command.}

KRELL: ... tlhIngan'e', tera'ngan'e', romuluSngan'e'
 [... a Klingon, a Terran, a Romulan]                   (untranslated)

VIXIS: tlhIngan ghaH wa' vub'e'.
 (One of the hostages is a Klingon.)

KLAA:  latlh?
 (And the others?)

VIXIS: wa' tera'ngan je wa' romuluSngan.                         [sic]
 (A Terran and a Romulan.)

KLAA:  vaj toDDujDaj ngeHbej DIvI'.
 (That means the Federation will be sending a rescue ship of its own.)

The translations in (parentheses) are the subtitles as they appear in the movie followed by the closed captions in [brackets], which was helpful in places where there were no subtitles. I have added excerpts from J.M. Dillard's novelization in {curly brackets} which may reflect an earlier version of David Loughery's screenplay used by the novelist in her adaptation.

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level