tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 28 05:06:46 2009

Adding grammar (was: RE: Ditransitive reflexives)

DloraH ([email protected]) [Hol po'wI']

> And that actually brings me to my larger question. What
> happens in the culture of tlhIngan Hol if there is found an
> area of the grammar that seems problematic and/or just
> missing and the fluent speakers have an intuition (generally
> agreed upon) about it?? Does that become another resource? Or
> are speakers not 'allowed' to add their own intuitions to the grammar?

The consensus is that we do not "add" anything to the language.  But the good news is that we do
still have contact with Okrand.  We can discuss these bits with him.  Sometimes he will, on the
spot, confirm our intuition, and "reveal" (not add) this new bit of grammar/vocabulary.  Sometimes
he will take the time to think about it and reveal the information at a later event/interview.  And
sometimes we don't get any revelation, forcing us to find some way to handle it; whether recast or
ignore it.

DloraH

Back to archive top level