tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Oct 19 16:05:02 2009

Re: ghotI' vIrurlaw'.

Doq ([email protected])

I'd like to explain why I sometimes write in Klingon without
translating. It's not that I'm trying to exclude people who can't
speak Klingon. It's because there is a LOT of material on this list
for beginners (as there should be), though there really isn't much for
those who can actually speak the language for communication purposes.
There's room at the table for everybody, and as you learn the grammar
and expand your skills, you'll be able to read the Klingon stuff as it
comes in, or even go back and read the archives.

Many will include a translation for the Klingon-impaired, but I don't
because I know that even when I see something written in both Klingon
and English, if I'm in a little bit of a hurry or the message gets
dense at all in Klingon, I just skip to the English part, as I'm sure
many others here do.

Every now and then, some portion of the messages that come through
here should be only in Klingon, just to keep people communicating in
Klingon, instead of just reading the English and letting the Klingon
part fly by.

There are a lot of posts of interest only to linguists. There's room
at the table for that, too.

The guys who are mostly interested in writing in English about Klingon
grammar are okay. Those who want to write using Klingon are also okay.

In fact, this brings us to the two rules of this list, which haven't
been mentioned in a while that I can recall:

Posts either need to be about the Klingon language in any language
(English preferred, just because most of the audience here speaks
English), or the posts need to use Klingon. There doesn't have to be
competition between these two kinds of posts. They just both are
welcome here.

toH, tlhIngan Hol qelbe'mo' QInvam, vIrInpa' tlhIngan vIlo'nIS pagh
QIntetlhvam cha' chut vIbIv.

[Translation: Because this message doesn't consider the Klingon
language, before I finish it, I must use Klingon language, or I break
the two laws of this message list.

I remember a time when a Beginner's Grammarian would read all the
Klingon posts and subsequently translate them for beginners. He said
it was a great exercise for him, and it was a great service to the
community of beginners. That way, the translation might not come until
a few days after the original post, so the Klingon readers could just
read it without temptation to read the English part, and the beginners
could compare the translations with the originals in order to learn
stuff.

I wonder if we have a BG who would be interested in having one more
thing to do...

Doq

On Oct 19, 2009, at 6:12 PM, [email protected] wrote:

> That is correct.  I have been trying to translate your email for a
> while, but my translations seem far off the mark.  I have been using
> a dictionary to try and translate and send emails in Klingon that
> are very likely grammatically incorrect.  Your translation of the
> speech is greatly needed and would be appreciated.

Back to archive top level