tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 06 20:08:35 2009

Re: The meaning of -moH

In a message dated 10/6/2009 22:26:11 Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> mu'tlheghlIjvaD, mu' {tlhob} nIv law', mu' {ghel} nIv puS. nuv
> tlhoblu'. qech ghellu'.
>
> Doq
>
> On Oct 6, 2009, at 9:39 PM, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > In a message dated 10/6/2009 19:23:25 Eastern Daylight Time,
> > [email protected] writes:
> >
> >> GERMAN:
> >> Ich lasse ihn ihn fragen.
> >> I.NOM let.PRS him.ACC him.ACC ask.INF
> >> = "I let him ask him."
> >>
> >> Here, causee and final object are marked both with the dative,
> >> which is the
> >> usual case for primary objects. English looks similar but has no
> >> obvious
> >> dative case, which can serve to perhaps distinguish the two objects.
> >>

> > Both occurrences of "ihn" in this sentence are accusative, "the
> > usual case
> > for primary objects", not dative, and you yourself so indicated with
> > ".ACC".
> > The first is the direct object of "lasse" and the second is the direct
> > object of "fragen".
> >
> > (ghaH) ghel (ghaH) 'e' vIchaw'.
> >
> > lay'tel SIvten

bIlughbe'law'.  vay' ngoD vISov vIneHchugh, vay' nuv vIghel. mulob vay'
vIneHchugh, vItlhob (pagh vIpoQ pagh vIra').
vItlhobchugh "Doytlh" Hol vIlo'taHvIS, vaj <bitten> vIjatlh. vIghelchugh
vaj Holvam mu' <fragen> vIjatlh.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level