tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 30 18:31:51 2009

Re: Numbers with pronouns

Christopher Doty ([email protected])

On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 18:22, David Trimboli <[email protected]> wrote:

> I can't say it's wrong, but it doesn't look right, either. I think it
> would be roughly equivalent to saying "Two thems see me" in English.

Hrm, okay... Any ideas on how you would say this? Since numbers modify
nouns by preceding them, I just figured likewise here.  Some languages
have special syntax for this (like English), but others don't...

>  > And what if one is using the pronoun as a verb instead of a noun?
>  > E.g.,
>>
>> <nItebHa' cha' maHvIS...>
>> "While we two are together..."
>>
>> Does that seem okay?
>
> {-vIS} always requires {-taH}.
>
> This seems a little more plausible, but I would still avoid it in
> general use, simply because it's weird.

Wait, what's weird here?  The <cha'>?  And I forgot about <-vIS>
always requiring <-taH>, and I was only worried about the <cha'> for
purposes of meter, so this can just become <nItebHa' maHtaHvIS...> and
nevermind the cha' business :)

Although I would like to know how to say such a thing....

Back to archive top level