tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 30 18:18:55 2009

Re: Numbers with pronouns

Tracy Canfield ([email protected])

Plus in English, we have the distinction between

"the two of you"  (There are exactly two of you)

and

"two of you"  (There are more than two of you, but only two are relevant)

Compare:

The two of you need to go.
Two of you need to go.

Is it known if Klingon distinguishes the two meanings?

2009/11/30 Christopher Doty <[email protected]>:
> I'm wondering about using numbers with pronouns.  Okrand gives examples like
>
> <mulegh cha'>
> "Two (of them) see me"
>
> but I don't see anything like
>
> <mulegh cha' chaH>
> "Two of them see me"
>
> How does this sound to people?  And what if one is using the pronoun
> as a verb instead of a noun?  E.g.,
>
> <nItebHa' cha' maHvIS...>
> "While we two are together..."
>
> Does that seem okay?