tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 30 16:48:23 2009

Re: Double negatives

Mark J. Reed ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

You're not weird.  Many people wind up adopting the spoken equivalent
of formal written English as their everyday language.  I suppose
somewhere there are entire communities who do that, and children born
into such communities do have it as their L1.  But that's not the
norm.  Even though my parents both try to hew to the conventions of
the literary standard in their speech, my peers didn't, so it still
wasn't really my L1.

--
Mark J. Reed <[email protected]>

Back to archive top level