tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 25 13:17:22 2009

RE: [SPAM:#] Re: The topic marker -'e'

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Chris:
>Huh...  It's not a N-N construction, though; the <yIHHomvaD> and the
><may'> aren't in a N-N phrase?
>
>Do we have any cannon about -vaD?? (Gods, I feel like I'm that dude
>who is always looking words up when you're just trying to play
>Scrabble...)

No problem.  BTW, canon is spelled with one /n/ - as in Canon Law.  A cannon {tal} is something you shoot. <g>

>David Trimboli <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Christopher Doty <[email protected]>wrote:
>>> yIHHomvaD may' 'oH may' quvHa''e'
>>
>> lugh lay'tel SIvten. When you've got a noun-noun construction (i.e.,
>> genitive), the first noun cannot take a Type 5 suffix (TKD 3.4).
>> *{yIHHomvaD may'} "battle for minor tribbles (tribblets?)" is incorrect;
>> it should be {yIHHom may'} "minor tribble battle." Otherwise, your
>> original sentence can only mean "For minor tribbles, a dishonorable
>> battle is a battle."

{-vaD} in canon:

TKD 28f.:  This suffix indicates that the noun to which it is attached is in some way the beneficiary of the action, the person or thing for whom or for which the activity occurs.
   Qu'vaD lI' De'vam
   This information is useful for the mission.
The noun {Qu'vaD} means "for the mission", and in this sentence {-vaD} indicates that the information is intended to be used somehow for the mission under discussion.

TKD 180:  While the object of the verb is the recipient of the action, the indirect object may be considered the beneficiary. In a Klingon sentence, the indirect object precedes the object and is suffixed with the Type 5 noun suffix {-vaD} "for, intended for". The suffix may be attached to either a noun or a pronoun.

TKD 50:  If a Type 5 noun suffix is used (section 3.3.5), it follows the verb, which, when used to modify the noun in this way, can have no other suffix except the rover {-qu'} "emphatic". The Type 5 noun suffix follows {-qu'}... {veng tInqu'Daq} "in the very big city".

Qu'vaD lI' net tu'bej
One certainly finds it useful for the mission. TKD

yaSvaD taj nobpu' qama'
The prisoner gave the officer the knife. TKD

chaHvaD Soj qem yaS
The officer brings them food. TKD

SoHvaD 'uQ wej vIqem
I'll bring you dinner number three. CK

DaH jIHvaD yIngev
Sell it to me now! PK

tera'nganvaD romuluS HIq jabQo'
They won't serve Romulan ale to Terrans. PK

'avwI'vaD jatlh qama'
A prisoner says to the guard... PK

Qu'vaD lI' net tu'bej
You will find it useful. ST3

Qugh la'vaD QIn pav.
[Urgent message for Commander Kruge.] (ST3 DVD case)

qa'vam yuQ Quv DaghojmeH Duyma'vaD yIjatlh.
[To learn the Genesis Planet's coordinates, speak to our agent.] (ST3 DVD case)

vaj malopmeH tlhIHvaD nob SaSuqpu'
So to celebrate, I've gotten you all a gift. (Hallmark)

wa' Qu'vaD wa' DevwI' tu'lu'
For one mission, there is one leader. TKW

yaSvaD nab QIj
He/she explains the plan to the officer. KGT

tuQtaHvIS Hem. ghaHvaD quHDaj qawmoH.
He wears it proudly as a reminder of his heritage. S20

roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH
[Qo'noS] is usually referred to as simply "The Homeworld." S27

chaq tampu'. chaq romuluSnganpu'vaD pIvghor cham lunobpu' tlhInganpu'
possibly in exchange for Warp Drive technology. S33
["Possibly they exchanged it. Possibly the Klingons gave warp drive technology to the Romulans."]

qama'pu'vaD tlhIngan Hol Dajatlh
you speak Klingon to the prisoners (st.k 29 Jun 1997)

qama'pu'vaD SoQ Dajatlh
you make a speech to the prisoners (st.k 29 Jun 1997)

lenglIj lutebjaj lengwIjvaD bel rap, Sov [rap, ngoQ rap je] Danobpu'bogh
May your journey be filled with the same joy, wisdom, and purpose you have given mine. (Frasier)

SoHvaD pagh vIjatlh, Human
I have nothing to say to you, human. (ENT "Affliction")

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level