tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 22 07:42:32 2009

Re: The topic marker -'e'

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

I think your understanding of {-'e'} is fundamentally flawed. We've never seen it used for topic/focus on subjects of verbs.

Beyond that, this post and the one about pronouns as verbs are examples of a type of post I see all too often (not necessarily here) and that is really starting to annoy me: the extrapolation of grammatical rules into the most esoteric, unlikely conclusions possible, as if to see how far you can push the language before it breaks.

And such people seldom or never actually produce any Klingon text of any quantity. If they did, they'd discover that Klingon is perfectly able to handle most communication tasks, the sort that make up 95% of communication in the real world.  It's only when you start poking around the edges and positing outlandish scenarios that Klingon seems incomplete.

-- ter'eS