tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 11 13:44:09 2009

RE: Yet another newbie!

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

--- On Wed, 11/11/09, Steven Boozer <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>   bIQ'a'Daq 'oHtaH 'etlh'e'
> >>   The sword is in the ocean. KGT
>
> ter'eS:
> > But not with negatives? ?{bIQ'a'Daq 'oHbe' 'etlh'e'}
>
> That's an interesting question.  AFAIK we don't have
> any examples of {PRONOUNtaHbe'} or {PRONOUNbe'taH} in the
> corpus, whether referring to location or not.

I actually like plain {'oHbe'} by analogy with {'oH} used in a question (eg. {nuqDaq 'oH}). In the question, you don't know if something has continued existence somewhere, so you don't presume that, only ask if it exists. In the positive answer, you are stressing its presumed continued existence in a given place. In the negative, you are focusing on the fact that something is not somewhere; stressing its on-going not-being seems redundant.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level