tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 03 18:04:40 2009
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Re: Sentences as objects
Terrence Donnelly (email@example.com)
- From: Terrence Donnelly <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: Sentences as objects
- Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 18:00:03 -0800 (PST)
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=sbcglobal.net; s=s1024; t=1257300003; bh=gmFurXzC7hyjxr24Lbw8OHkZ48X6B+DoC7HJvzsDA74=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=4TAhlla2bzLqu+OGFtLbB/r5j650Y9XWuNnwyC1MQKaHWx6afgrfXAF8iZKNy80POMrK9YhyQuvSZgnqpDRguAFTY+Meh0Hyr23fMtjGw6C0do3sV8+GjDRUcNRJ4vnc+DrOHZkz3rDQ0BzauK4dPvbCUCmJWL+qSgobTO3wQSQ=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=sbcglobal.net; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=gA2t4j9yuUbBr7J89lTIAeIxprvNoQGl5wTyknU5ughfVk3kLO6G4NPnl10QNlDJUIFcnbtJsmIQ1pvNfwvR4OGO9843n43jEqbyH18x8d5+XUdNYA/BFBTX02BN1lKE/6U1qsw1mAmsWjmZOq3mWjG9JEd8y4DcHJUWWbPBd0U=;
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com>
> The point of Okrand's explanation was that there are no
> indirect quotations in Klingon, and that direct quotes are
> actually independent sentences referred to by another
> independent sentence.
Actually, to correct myself, I think Okrand's point was that reported speech can never be an object of a verb of saying, and probably not of any verb. The English distinction between indirect and direct reported speech is therefore not relevant to Klingon.