tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 03 18:04:40 2009

Re: Sentences as objects

Terrence Donnelly ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

jIghItlh:

> The point of Okrand's explanation was that there are no
> indirect quotations in Klingon, and that direct quotes are
> actually independent sentences referred to by another
> independent sentence.

Actually, to correct myself, I think Okrand's point was that reported speech can never be an object of a verb of saying, and probably not of any verb. The English distinction between indirect and direct reported speech is therefore not relevant to Klingon.

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level