tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 30 07:04:26 2009

Re: -vaD

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On May 30, 2009, at 4:57 AM, [email protected] wrote:

> As I said, I don't follow my own interpretation of the meanings of
> {-vaD}
> and {-Daq}; I try to conform to mainstream usage.  I just happen to
> think
> that usage is wrong.

So far as I can tell, mainstream usage is consistent with TKD and
other canonical examples.  What do you use to support your alternate
interpretation?

Maybe you're using an alternate interpretation not of the Klingon
suffixes, but of the English prepositions.  I can imagine always
using the word "to" in a non-locative sense when translating {-vaD}
("One finds that it is useful to the mission", etc.).  I can also
imagine forcing "at" to indicate a destination or target rather than
just a locative context, but it often comes out sounding bad (e.g.,
"Go at your room.") in the same way always using "for" to translate {-
vaD} can (e.g. "He gives the knife for the officer.").

Back to archive top level