tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 29 17:58:30 2009

Re: Dictionary Formats

Doq ([email protected])

Oh, and I create a sorting field that works like this:

mu' is represented as {muz}, since the apostrophe comes last in the
Klingon alphabet.

tlhIngan is represented as {t2in2an1}, because to sort well, the
alphabet in Klingon is:

c (represents ch)
g (represents gh)
n1 (n)
n2 (ng)
q1 (q)
q2 (Q)
t1 (t)
t2 (tlh)
z (')

If you sort by the field with this representation of the words, then
it will sort the same as TKD, but you must be careful and EXTREMELY
consistent. Never type a "t" or an "n" without the number after it.
Never put the "h" after "c" or "g".

Doq

On May 26, 2009, at 10:20 AM, Fiat Knox wrote:

> A note if you're considering using a database or spreadsheet format
> for your words.
>
> Spreadsheet cells need to be specifically formatted as
> "text" (select the column for your Klingon words and go to Format/
> Cells, then select the Text option for the entire column) because,
> unless you set them as such, they will consider an initial ' as a
> quote and strip it from any Klingon word you enter. Also, the
> sorting functions of spreadsheets do not recognise the difference
> between "q" and "Q," they will insert "ng" between "ne" and "nI",
> and words ending in ' will be put at the front of each block of
> words, so ru' appears before, say, ruch.
>
> Just so you know.

Back to archive top level