tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 21 09:31:35 2009

RE: Service

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Fiat Knox
>I'm wondering how to translate the word "Service" as in an agency or
>organisation of some kind, such as "the Klingon intelligence services"
>or "the Federation's security service" or just "the Secret Service."
We do have {tum} "agency" which I use for bureau, service, ministry, etc.  I once coined *{ghoqmeH tum} "spy service, intelligence agency" vs. *{ghoqHa'meH tum} "counter-intelligence agency".

Other types of organizations include {DIvI'} "federation, organization, association, league, union"; {yejHaD} "institute, institution" and {yej'an} "(scholarly) society".

Note also the nouns {lInDab} "espionage" and {Hung} "security" as well as the verb {ghoq} "spy".

{Hung buv} seems to mean "security clearance/classification":

  Hung buv rav: patlh Hut
  classified level 9 and above (KBoP)

I've seen *{Hungbeq} used for "security force(s)", of which the Yan-Isleth ("Brotherhood of the Sword") is the chancellor's personal elite security force (DS9 "Apocalypse Rising").  Playing with this gives us *{Hur Hungbeq} "external security" vs. *{qoD Hungbeg} "internal security".

A person working for such a service would be a {Duy} "agent, emissary, delegate" or {ghoqwI'} "spy".  Aboard ship I would use *{HungpIn} for "Chief/Head of Security" (i.e. Worf's job on the Enterprise-D).

I would shy away from {toy'} "serve (a master)" and {toy'wI'} "servant, although we do have the statement:

  wo' toy'taHvIS Hegh 'e' tul Hoch tlhIngan
  To die while serving the Empire is the hope of every Klingon. TKW

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level