tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 21 07:07:26 2009

RE: nuq bach?

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

SuStel:
>> If this is correct, a sentence like "The officer shot the criminal"
>> has to be said something like this:
>>     bach yaS; HeSwI' mup.
>>     The officer shot; he hit the criminal.
>> (That's assuming I've got the right sense of /mup/ "impact, strike."

{mup}  impact, strike (v.)
 - pay' HIvDI' lo'wI' pagh mupDI' QIHchu' bIH
   [The small side blades on a d'k tahg] provide a damaging
   surprise attack or give a devastating backhand stroke. SP2

{mupwI'}  hammer (n.)
 - mupwI' yI'uchtaH
   Keep holding the hammer! TKW
 - HoSghaj; mupwI' rur
   powerful as a hammer KGT

{mupwI'Hom}  mallet (for striking a musical instrument) (n.)
KGT 74-5:  The general term for a percussion instrument of any kind is {'In}. [...] Other members of this group of instruments are hit with a stick of some kind. The stick often resembles a small hammer; when it does, it is termed {mupwI'Hom} (literally, "small striker")

>> pojwI' tells me that /qIp/ "hit" refers to hitting with a hand, fist,
>> or implement.)

lay'tel SIvten:
>There is also this usage of {qIp} from HolQeD 1999/12:
>
> Vixis: tlh'a' [sic: tlha'a] HoD, DoS wI-puS-taH.  nej-wI' tIQ 'oH
> Captain Klaa, we have a target in sight.  A probe of ancient origin.
>
> Klaa: wI-qIp-meH Qatlh-'a'
> Difficult to hit?
>
> Vixis: Qatlh-qu'
> Most difficult.
>
>Per KGT, pp 105-106:
>{wa' DoS wIqIp} We hit one target | We agree
>{DoS wIqIp}     We hit a target | We agree

Even better:

  yIQeqQo' neH.  DoS yIqIp!
  Don't just aim; hit the target! TKW

Note that {Qeq} "aim (a weapon)" works like {bach}.  The object of the verb is the weapon used, not the target which is marked with {-Daq}:

  'otlh peng Qeqchu'
  He aims the photon torpedo perfectly. PK

  'oy'naQ DaQeqDI' mIw wa'DIch Data', 'ach 'oy'naQ Dachu'DI' mIw
   paghDIch Data'
  When you aim the painstik, you accomplish the first step, but
   when you turn the painstik on, you accomplish the zeroth step. KGT

  'ay'vamDaq nuHmey tIQeq
  Target weapons on this location. (ENT "Affliction")

Other hitting verbs include {moq} "beat [with implement]":

KGT 69:  When the parties are ready, a third party, sort of a referee, says {moq}, the signal to begin. The verb {moq} literally means "beat" and it is a clipped form of, perhaps, {vImoq} ("I beat it") or even {vImoqpu'} ("I have beaten it"). In times past, one would hit something (such as a drum) with a stick to indicate the start of the duel; today, one simply says the word "beat".

KGT 75:  To strike the [percussion] instrument with a stick is to {moq} ("beat") the instrument.

{tlhaw'} "hit [percussion instrument] with fist" and {weq} "hit [percussion instrument] with palm":

KGT 74-5:  To hit the [percussion] instrument with the palm is {weq}; to strike it with the fist is {tlhaw'} [...]

and finally {chuHchu'} "hit with a thrown spear" (also used for arrows, crossbows, etc.?):

  jagh chuHchu' SuvwI'
  the warrior spears the enemy perfectly
  the warrior hits the enemy [with a thrown spear] (KGT 64)

--
Voragh
Canon Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level