tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 20 14:10:26 2009

Re: nuq bach?

In a message dated 5/20/2009 16:29:05 Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> Fiat Knox wrote:
>
> > nuq bachpu' puqloD - what did the boy shoot?
> > puqloD bachpu' nuq - what shot the boy?
>
> Just a minor digression. I believe KGT tells us that /bach/ takes the
> thing projected as its object:
>
>     nISwI' HIch tIH bach yaS.
>     The officer shoots the disruptor pistol beam.
>
> But because things like /tIH/ are so commonly shot, they are often
> dropped from the sentence, leaving the weapon which did the firing as
> the object of /bach/:
>
>     nISwI' HIch bach yaS.
>     The officer shoots the disruptor pistol.
>
> If I am remembering this correctly, you cannot say */puqloD bachpu' nuq/
> "What shot the boy?" unless the answer were a trapeze cannon or the like.
>
> If this is correct, a sentence like "The officer shot the criminal" has
> to be said something like this:
>
>     bach yaS; HeSwI' mup.
>     The officer shot; he hit the criminal.
>
> (That's assuming I've got the right sense of /mup/ "impact, strike."
> pojwI' tells me that /qIp/ "hit" refers to hitting with a hand, fist, or
> implement.)
>
> --
> David Trimboli
> http://www.trimboli.name/

There is also this usage of {qIp} from HolQeD 1999/12:

Vixis: tlh'a' [sic: tlha'a] HoD, DoS wI-puS-taH.  nej-wI' tIQ 'oH
Captain Klaa, we have a target in sight.  A probe of ancient origin.

Klaa: wI-qIp-meH Qatlh-'a'
Difficult to hit?

Vixis: Qatlh-qu'
Most difficult.