tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 19 05:22:14 2009

Re: Klingon Anti-Virus

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On May 18, 2009, at 11:30 PM, [email protected] wrote:

> mu' vImughHa'bogh yIngu'!

It's not a matter of individual words.  It's more that the intent of
the words which are there is not obvious.  In the critique which
follows, try to keep in mind that I'm working from a position of near-
ignorance of the original text in particular, and of Windows virus
scanners in general.

The menu names are confusing, for example: are they supposed to be
commands to the computer, options for the user to choose, or
something else? I read them as actions "accomplish computer", "see",
"establish", and "help".  Only the last one means something I recognize.

In the {Dotlh} "status" pane, the words {chu'Ha' HotlhtaH naw'DI'}
are all verbs.  Is it a badly formed sentence?  Three clipped
sentences?  I can't tell what it means.  There's something very wrong
with {bIghHa': 0Daq Dochmey}, but I don't know what it's supposed to
be saying, so I don't know what to suggest to fix it.  The line with
the time and date probably is misusing {poH} "interval, period of
time", and seems unnecessarily convoluted.  Is there anything wrong
with just saying <5/7, 2009 7:17AM chu'qa'>?  From context, I assume
{lIngwI' SeghHom} ("producer's subtype"?) is supposed to be something
like "revision number", but I don't see how.

I just now understood {Sophos juHnav Such}, but I had to translate it
into English first in order to recognize the meaning.  {juHnav}
"homepaper" strikes me as a very poor coinage to name a web page, and
{Such} "visit" is an unreasonably literal translation.  {The closest
thing to this use of "home" is probably {waw'} "base".  My preferred
idiom for viewing a web page is {Hotlh} "project, put on screen",
though that might be confusing in the context of a virus scanner.)

I'm sure each of these has a perfectly reasonable justification.  But
without my knowing in advance what they mean, the effort put forth to
translate them is mostly wasted on me.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level