tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 16 14:37:53 2009
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Re: recent boing boing post and Unicode
Terrence Donnelly (email@example.com)
- From: Terrence Donnelly <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: recent boing boing post and Unicode
- Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 14:36:56 -0700 (PDT)
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=sbcglobal.net; s=s1024; t=1242509816; bh=yvN7iNIPPr85TnfeMMcuMRIWSukH0MkCHU/+3ytpF7k=; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=TZyA9zJCziJ4f/Rz0JQ02Hia/rnO2y6kndDQ+wfp924AtFTQaCA9+RxDpAfeyJ7H+rEpRrtl6mVn5ekS4pV08Wex1M8QfGiN1NfafhbnaBI8OhclAMUPnFFsj+zbIMJPuAzoBumX3N/37sheD+T4h0JwpmJjzjIq4acQvtqEQaU=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=sbcglobal.net; h=Message-ID:X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Date:From:Reply-To:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type; b=nnnRc8HodDmeTc9E6cEwHRm7iIy2azIJne7DUvSbvvtv7D0ZB+cz8ONbZuqDcph6efxtUaJ9bTJaHujIQKjtraBl/R/p2VoHsamsQrONRYPEb081YK7PYbkzVrTOx0hGUCShEZTyXOHKPewh+qKgTVR1KAXFNuiMcJQmzCVLjeY=;
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com>
Writing an algorithm to convert romanized Hol to a pIqaD-friendly format is relatively trivial. I wrote my routine in Basic for Kliflash, but it can be done in many ways. I'd probably use Perl if I were doing it today. Just pass unformatted text through a Perl filter, the output would be in latin characters (for readability), but with all di- and trigraphs coverted to the standard pIqaD character mapping (eg. tlhIngan -> xifan), then format that document any way you want and print it using a pIqaD font instead of a latin one. Sounds like fun!
--- On Sat, 5/16/09, firstname.lastname@example.org <email@example.com> wrote:
> From: firstname.lastname@example.org <email@example.com>
> Subject: Re: recent boing boing post and Unicode
> To: firstname.lastname@example.org
> Date: Saturday, May 16, 2009, 2:14 PM
> I beleave pojwI' for Windows will convert a romanized
> thIngan Hol document into pIqaD.
> I'd buy them.
> --- Original Message ---
> From:"Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen"
> Sent:Sat 5/16/09 14:38
> Subj:recent boing boing post and Unicode
> I find myself wondering what would be the impact on the
> Unicode debate
> if the KLI started publishing books entirely in pIqaD.
> It would require an algorithm for converting Roman two- and
> combinations to a corresponding single character (e.g., gh,
> tlh), which
> would not be too difficult.
> Also, I'd have to rework the kerning on the pIqaD
> typeface, something
> that I've been meaning to do for years, and that would
> require some real
> time and effort.
> Still, it would be a beautiful thing to hold a small,
> hardbound book set
> entirely in pIqaD in one's hand...
> Perhaps a topic that will get kicked around further in a
> few months
> at the