tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 16 13:40:47 2009

Re: Klingon Ad for my new novel!

Dr. Lawrence M. Schoen wrote:
> ghItlh Doq:
>> DubtaHba' tlhIngan Hol laHlIj.
>
> Clearly your suffix order error has been included as a test.
>
> Personally, I don't like N-N-N constructions. They feel clunky to me.
>  I'd have recast this as a complex sentence, thusly:
>
> tlhIngan Hol lo'meH Dubba'taH laHlIj.
>
> Or something similar. Of course, I am not one of the grammarians, and
> there may be other errors creeping in that I fail to see.

"Your ability obviously continues to improve in order for it to use
Klingon." A purpose clause is the wrong tool here.

Overly long genitive constructions are poor style, but /tlhIngan Hol/ is
so common as to seem a single unit; it does not overburden the genitive
construction.

--
David Trimboli
http://www.trimboli.name/