tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 27 13:32:47 2009

Re: {'Iv} and {law'}/{puS}

Doq ([email protected])

Feeling pithy and concise, I'm tempted to offer another approach:

qoHvam tlha' qoHvetlh. qoH'na' 'Iv?

Of course, the answer might be:

cha' qoH bejmeH poH natlhbogh qoH ghaH qoH'na''e'.

Doq

On Jun 27, 2009, at 3:14 PM, Mark J. Reed wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 2:58 PM, ghunchu'wI' <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> On Jun 26, 2009, at 7:32 PM, Mark J. Reed wrote:
>>
>>> Spun off Mr. Everson's North Wind and Sun translation thread, does
>>> this work for a certain zippy retort from that Other space opera?
>>>
>>> 'Iv Dogh law' 'Iv Dogh puS: qoH ghap qoHvam tlha'bogh qoH'e' ?
>>
>> I can't make much sense out of it.  I don't recognize the phrase, and
>> I don't even know which "other space opera" you might mean.
>

> Klingon is from Star Trek.  The other one would be Star Wars.
> Thought that
> was pretty obvious.
>
> My included recasting should have clarified the meaning, I thought:
> {Dev
> qoH.  tlha' latlh.  Doghqu' 'Iv?}
>
> I did misplace the {ghap} in the first sentence.  pagh goes between,
> ghap
> goes at the end.
>
> The quote, incidentally: "Who's the more foolish - the fool, or the
> fool who
> follows him?" - Kenobi to Solo, Episode IV
>

>>> And if not, how can one ask such "Who is more X?" type questions?
>>
>> I think my earlier suggestion of {'Iv X law' latlh X puS} works.
>

> Noticed that in the other thread after I sent this.  "Who is more X
> than
> another?" .  Works pretty well.  qatlho'.
>
> --
> Mark J. Reed <[email protected]>

Back to archive top level