tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 25 10:27:17 2009

Re: [KLBC?] word order and sentence in General.

[email protected] wrote:
> In a message dated 6/24/2009 16:47:00 Eastern Daylight Time,
> [email protected] writes:
>
>> qavan, ghoj[moH]wI'pu' QeDwI'pu' je
>
> Since your email was directed at many people, the I+you plural prefix {Sa-}
> would be better:
>
> Savan!  ghoj[moH]wI'pu' QeDwI'pu' je.

Quite right!

	Savan, ghojmoHwI'pu' HaDwI'pu' je.

> If this verb is placed after the noun phrase, it makes a sentence with
> object and verb, a more cohesive and unitary structure, assuming that the
> object, which is nominally third person, can be used as the object of a verb with
> a second person object prefix.  I don't see any conflict with the "prefix
> trick", though, since there is no indirect object to confuse things.
>
> ghoj[moH]wI'pu' QeDwI'pu' je Savan.

Better not to confuse a KLBC post with controversial grammar.
/ghojmoHwI'pu' HaDwI'pu' je/ is not a second-person noun phrase, and
there is no rule that says you can ignore agreement in a case like this.

A little comma fixes this, though:

	ghojmoHwI'pu' HaDwI'pu' je, Savan.
	Teachers and students, I salute you.

> If the object person conflict is too great, then simply use {vI-} on the
> verb:
>
> ghoj[moH]wI'pu' QeDwI'pu' je vIvan.

"I salute teachers and [students]." Sure you do, but Thorwald was
directly addressing us. You've taken away the direct address.

--
SuStel

tlhIngan Hol MUSH
http://trimboli.name/mush