tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 25 07:31:09 2009

Re: Klingon orthography (was: Okrand at qep'a')

Brent Kesler ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 1:51 AM, Michael Everson<[email protected]> wrote:
> On 24 Jun 2009, at 05:07, ghunchu'wI' wrote:
>> Case-pairing is by no means mandatory.
>
> It is normative.

How normative is it? Are we talking MUST as defined by RFC 2119?
SHOULD? Does the Unicode standard even use RFC 2119?

Quick summary:
 - MUST: This word, or the terms "REQUIRED" or "SHALL", mean that the
definition is an absolute requirement of the specification.
 - SHOULD: This word, or the adjective "RECOMMENDED", mean that there
carefully weighed before choosing a different course.

> You can't "delete" case equivalences from the Standard.

Yeah, but the Unicode FAQ adds, "Note that case conversion is
inherently language-sensitive, notably in the case of IPA, which needs
to be left strictly alone even when embedded in another language which
is being case converted."

Admittedly, the FAQ isn't a normative document, but if it accurately
reflects the standard, then it seems to suggest that sometimes you
want to treat certain blocks of text as non-cased. Using Klingon is
one of those times.

bI'reng

Back to archive top level