tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 24 22:39:56 2009

Re: Klingon orthography

Doq ([email protected])

What's with this fixation on q/Q? I'm sure that a German would, if
insufficiently educated in English, give you a hard time about all
those nouns you aren't capitalizing.

In the Klingon language, {q} and {Q} are different letters. Anybody
who takes a message and screws with the case of either of these is
corrupting the data. Most people don't corrupt the data. Most systems
don't corrupt the data.

And Google? It's great for a lot of stuff. Klingon isn't one of those
things it's great at.

And as for sorting, well, sorting is arbitrary. We choose to sort "a"
before "b". It's a habit of ours. We learned it when we were very
young, but if an entire culture consistently sorted "b" before "a"
that would be right, too.

As it is, in order to sort in Okrandian order, I create a sorting
field for each word and spell it in a way that forces the sort to be
correct in my dictionary. In any other context, sorting is
insignificant.

Likely, you will respond by repeating yourself yet again, as if you
think we apparently didn't read the dozen or two previous posts you've
already made in one day on the topic.

wejpuH

Doq