tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 24 01:29:05 2009

Re: Klingon orthography (was: Okrand at qep'a')

Michael Everson ([email protected])

On 24 Jun 2009, at 04:20, ghunchu'wI' wrote:

> On Jun 23, 2009, at 11:16 AM, Michael Everson wrote:
>
>> Even now, the conflation of q and Q causes problems for
>> transliteration between PUA pIqaD and Latin orthography.
>
> So don't conflate them!

I don't want to conflate them. I want them to be distinct. But the
point is that because of canonical case equivalence one is never
guaranteed that q will stay q; it can be converted to Q.

> If you're implementing a transliterator, do it right.  If you're
> using someone else's that doesn't do it right,  either point out the
> error and get them to correct it, or use one  that doesn't have the
> problem.  A dull blade should be sharpened or  replaced if
> necessary.  It shouldn't be used to "cut" oatmeal and  praised for
> its sharpness.

I don't think that analogy is really apt.