tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 23 08:41:12 2009

Re: Klingon orthography (was: Okrand at qep'a')

Michael Everson ([email protected])

On 23 Jun 2009, at 15:38, Matthew Hamby wrote:

> So, for my vote, I think initially that I like the third option that
> Michael listed in his previous message:  eng, x, t-stroke.  T-stroke
> is the only really unusual character, at least for me, so it seems
> the easiest to change to.

In the previous message I said:

a b c d e g h i j l m n Å o p q ê r s t Å u v w y â (eng, q-
stroke, l-stroke)

a b c d e g h i j l m n Å o p q qÌ r s t Å u v w y â (n-caron, q-
caron, l-stroke)

a b c d e g h i j l m n Å o p q x r s t Å u v w y â (eng, x, t-
stroke)

What I get from what Matthew says is that he thinks it's fine simply
to lower-case D/H/I/S without any need to mark them in any way. I sort
of wonder if that's practical for S but then I wonder if there aren't
many people who pronounce it as /s/ instead of /Ê/ anyway.

Another principle has to do with ng and Q and tlh, but mostly for Q.
Changing it to X is a fairly big change; keeping it as a modified kind
of Q might be less difficult for the reader, though that means
possible difficulty for font support.

> And then there were: qÏ (q chi), x, ê (q with stroke through
> tail), Ï (chi), qÌ (q with caron), q, Æ Æ (gha), È (qp digraph),
> É É (q with hook tail), and Ê (q with hook).

The last is kind of neat because it is similar to eng. And there's a
hooked t too, so:

a b c d e g h i j l m n Å o p q Ê r s t Æ u v w y â (eng, q-hook,
t-hook)

Both Å/Å and Å/Å should have a fair bit of font support these days,
as the first is Polish and the second, with Å/Å is used in Sami, a
user community in Norway which has been fairly effective at getting
support from the big companies.

Here is a sample text in which in the second part there are several
q's and Q's...

Sar jeSwI'ma': jeS Hov leng parHa'wI'pu', Sov luneHmo' 'ej yu'
luneHmo'; jeS je Dabogh QujwI'pu', tlhIngan 'oSbogh ghotqoq'e' teHmoH
luneHmo'; jeS je HolQeD, De'wI'QeD, yabQeD je HaDbogh HaDwI'pu'
po'wI'pu' je, DuSaQDaq QIjmeH tlhIngan Hol lo'mo', qoj Qu' Quj je DuD
luneHmo' neH.

Sar jeswiâmaâ: jes hov leÅ parhaâwiâpuâ, sov lunehmoâ
âej yuâ lunehmoâ; jes je dabog Æujwiâpuâ, ÅiÅan âosbog
gotqoqâeâ tehmoh lunehmoâ; jes je holÆed, deâwiâÆed,
yabÆed je hadbog hadwiâpuâ poâwiâpuâ je, dusaÆdaq Æijmeh
ÅiÅan hol loâmoâ, qoj Æuâ Æuj je dud lunehmoâ neh.

Sar jeswiâmaâ: jes hov leÅ parhaâwiâpuâ, sov lunehmoâ
âej yuâ lunehmoâ; jes je dabog xujwiâpuâ, ÅiÅan âosbog
gotqoqâeâ tehmoh lunehmoâ; jes je holxed, deâwiâxed, yabxed
je hadbog hadwiâpuâ poâwiâpuâ je, dusaxdaq xijmeh ÅiÅan hol
loâmoâ, qoj xuâ xuj je dud lunehmoâ neh.

Sar jeswiâmaâ: jes hov leÅ parhaâwiâpuâ, sov lunehmoâ
âej yuâ lunehmoâ; jes je dabog Êujwiâpuâ, ÅiÅan âosbog
gotqoqâeâ tehmoh lunehmoâ; jes je holÊed, deâwiâÊed,
yabÊed je hadbog hadwiâpuâ poâwiâpuâ je, dusaÊdaq Êijmeh
ÅiÅan hol loâmoâ, qoj Êuâ Êuj je dud lunehmoâ neh.

Sar jeswiâmaâ: jes hov leÅ parhaâwiâpuâ, sov lunehmoâ
âej yuâ lunehmoâ; jes je dabog Èujwiâpuâ, ÅiÅan âosbog
gotqoqâeâ tehmoh lunehmoâ; jes je holÈed, deâwiâÈed,
yabÈed je hadbog hadwiâpuâ poâwiâpuâ je, dusaÈdaq Èijmeh
ÅiÅan hol loâmoâ, qoj Èuâ Èuj je dud lunehmoâ neh.

Sar jeswiâmaâ: jes hov leÅ parhaâwiâpuâ, sov lunehmoâ
âej yuâ lunehmoâ; jes je dabog qÌujwiâpuâ, ÅiÅan âosbog
gotqoqâeâ tehmoh lunehmoâ; jes je holqÌed, deâwiâqÌed,
yabqÌed je hadbog hadwiâpuâ poâwiâpuâ je, dusaqÌdaq
qÌijmeh ÅiÅan hol loâmoâ, qoj qÌuâ qÌuj je dud lunehmoâ
neh.

Sar jeswiâmaâ: jes hov leÅ parhaâwiâpuâ, sov lunehmoâ
âej yuâ lunehmoâ; jes je dabog Éujwiâpuâ, ÅiÅan âosbog
gotqoqâeâ tehmoh lunehmoâ; jes je holÉed, deâwiâÉed,
yabÉed je hadbog hadwiâpuâ poâwiâpuâ je, dusaÉdaq Éijmeh
ÅiÅan hol loâmoâ, qoj Éuâ Éuj je dud lunehmoâ neh.

Sar jeswiâmaâ: jes hov leÅ parhaâwiâpuâ, sov lunehmoâ
âej yuâ lunehmoâ; jes je dabog êujwiâpuâ, ÅiÅan âosbog
gotqoqâeâ tehmoh lunehmoâ; jes je holêed, deâwiâêed,
yabêed je hadbog hadwiâpuâ poâwiâpuâ je, dusaêdaq
êijmeh ÅiÅan hol loâmoâ, qoj êuâ êuj je dud lunehmoâ
neh.

Now here is the same set all uppercased:

[...]

**Note too that if Ê or È were chosen, a new capital letter character
would have to be added to Unicode as it does not yet exist.