tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 28 00:26:08 2009

Re: News from Maltz

Lieven Litaer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

Greetings!

and thanks a lot for the quick information about the new words!

Just for the record: Are these your words, or Marc Okrand's? I guess you've used the brackets.

> 1) The noun {vIlle'} means something close to "minion".  [The word in
> English is often used to refer to a loyal or even fawning servant of
> someone who is typically considered powerful.  Compare with
> "henchman", who has the same general job but is usually a mercenary.]

>From wikipedia, I see that a minion is not the same as a henchman.

Maybe not intended, but when you read {vIlle'} backwards, it sounds like "élève", french for "student". Not only one being taught in school, but also like a minion. (maybe just a coincidence?)

Anyway, I'm sure that a {vIlle'} is a {vIl le'} :-)

> 2) The noun {vIl} is hard to define....
> There is obviously an etymological relationship with and {vIlle'},
> which is currently the best clue we have to its true meaning.

I don't get it either. :-( Ain't there no more explanation?

Greetings,
  Quvar 'utlh.