tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 27 09:22:30 2009

Re: 'oQqar pe'pu'bogh; naQHommey rur ghIq mIQpu'

qe'San \(Jon Brown\) ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Boozer" <[email protected]>

> SuStel:
>>>   'oQqar lupe'lu'pu'bogh
>>>   cut tubers
>>>
>>> naQHommey means "minor sticks," whatever those are. -Hom does not mean
>>> "small."
>>>
>>> I know what you meant, but I don't know if you meant it as a sentence, a
>>> noun phrase, or >> something else. Pick one.
>>>
>>>   'oQqar naQ lumIQlu'pu'bogh
>>>   'oQqar lupe'lu'pu'bogh 'ej lumIQlu'pu'bogh
>
> ter'eS:
>>At first glance, the phrase {'oQqar pe'(lu')pu'bogh} seems mis-placed and
>>has no grammatical connection to the following: "cut-up tuber; it
>>resembles sticks."
>>  [....]
>>Also, I don't think you need the {-pu'} suffixes. Presumably, the tuber
>>was cut up on purpose, so you could use {-ta'} on the first verb. I don't
>>think you need any suffix on the second.
>
> Actually, you don't need any aspect suffix at all.  We have a culinary
> example from "Power Klingon":
>
>  to'baj 'uS lughoDlu'bogh tIlaj
>  Accept these stuffed tobbaj legs! PK
>
>  Ho'Du'lIjDaq to'baj 'uSHom lughoDlu'bogh tu'lu'
>  You have some stuffed tobbaj leg in your teeth. PK
>
> Presumably nobody ever prepares or eats just one! <g>  Note BTW the use of
> {-Hom} for a chunk or piece of stuffed tobbaj leg.  AFAIK this usage is
> unique.
>
> As a definition, qe'San and SuStel's versions work, but they are a bit
> wordy.  I might call them {'oQqar naQ(Hom)mey lumIQlu'bogh} "(deep-fried
> tuber stick(let)s" or just {'oQqar naQ(Hom)mey} "tuber stick(let)s" for
> short.
> --
> Voragh
> Canon Master of the Klingons

Thank you for the compliment (making the langauge work is my main aim).  I
also like the simplicity of  {'oQqar naQHommey lumIQlu'bogh} I accept there
is a difference between how to do something and what is enough to identify
something.. But I wouldn't want to presume...

qe'San

Back to archive top level