tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 14 19:51:45 2009

Re: {pagh Doch} or {pagh Dochmey}? (Fwd: [Question #76058]: Klingon plural expression is this: Plural-Forms: nplurals=2; plural=n > 1)

Doq ([email protected])

In general, I've seen plural suffixes on nouns only when there was no
explicit number given.

I guess plurals are a little more complex than first imagined, so
let's start with the obvious case. Both of these are correct:

Doch DIlegh.

Dochmey DIlegh.

The first one is probably more common because the kind of grammatical
redundancy present in the second one is rare in Klingon. Replace {DI-}
with {vI-} and it gets a little stranger:

Doch vIlegh.

Dochmey vIlegh.

Both are still correct, though the first example would be less common
because there is no grammatical redundancy. The ONLY grammatical
indicator that {Doch} is plural is the plural suffix. Without it, the
noun is PROBABLY singular, but you can't be sure, because in Klingon,
it is not incorrect to simply not indicate plurality where it does
exist. If it is not important to you to express it, you don't have to.
Since there is no SINGULAR marker, it is useful to be able to
generalize to say that if NOTHING in the grammar indicates plurality,
it is singular, but in Klingon, if you want to drive home the point
that you see one thing and not plural things, you better say:

wa' Doch vIlegh.

Meanwhile, otherly numbered noun examples:

cha' Doch vIlegh.

cha' Dochmey vIlegh.

The first one is DEFINITELY more common. I have faint memories of some
kind of Okrand statement about this -- that numbers essentially make
the plural suffix unnecessary -- but my memory is very imperfect. Even
*I* wouldn't trust me to remember this well. It likely is a false
memory. Maybe I made it up because I want it to be true.

{pagh} is just another number. I would not put a plural suffix on
anything already numbered with {pagh}. I won't say that it is
definitely wrong, but *I* would not want MY name associated with any
writing that had *pagh Dochmey* on it. It's just really ugly.

'round 'eze parts ain't nobody gonna respect ya' ifn ya talk like THAT.

Doq

Back to archive top level