tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 09 16:51:53 2009

Re: Questions with law'/puS

Terrence Donnelly wrote:

>> expanded. It must remain
>> rIntaH.
>>> Absence of evidence /= evidence of absence.
>> I didn't claim there was any evidence.
>
> You're claiming that since we've never seen the suffix {-'a'} (for
> example) used with {law'/puS}, its use is absolutely impossible,
> whereas all that proves is that we've never seen it.  Unless or until
> MO rules definitively "No", it remains a possibility.

Take away the "since we've never seen" part. I am making a statement
unfounded by any evidence. It has only the force of opinion and
conservatism. I speak prescriptively, as a style guide, not
descriptively. It is not a claim, it is a directive.

I did NOT say it can't be done because we haven't seen it.

--
SuStel
tlhIngan Hol MUSH

Back to archive top level