tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 09 10:54:30 2009

Re: Questions with law'/puS

Steven Boozer wrote:
> I expected more, but I could only find 3 examples of {-'a'} on a quality:
>
>   qIpmeH Qatlh'a'?
>   Difficult to hit? ST5

And in this case the entire sentence is suspect, because it's wrong. It
literally means something like, "Is it [the probe] being difficult so
that I may hit it?" Okrand forgot that {-meH} represents a purpose
clause, not every English infinitive. More appropriate would have been
something like, {Qatlh'a' qIpmeH 'eb} "Is the opportunity for hitting
difficult?"

--
SuStel
tlhIngan Hol MUSH