tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 07 22:33:51 2009
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
Re: Klingon orthography (was: Okrand at qep'a')
Michael Roney, Jr. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- From: "Michael Roney, Jr." <email@example.com>
- Subject: Re: Klingon orthography (was: Okrand at qep'a')
- Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 01:32:17 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to :reply-to:subject:in-reply-to:x-mailer:mime-version:content-type; bh=tFOK4uuE9cOcNe44yqqR7UQFlrTlPWO58cnaILUT7yA=; b=fKrt0XB42N7CxGtu6EiPmpvpeUf5VBNm3kGogmShoC/o7r11O8CH/ZWlFrFvE89g/V HTBf07RQRm5rLdS2yg5fTL+yszZ/xAsYppuGdyCJOj+/2iCle9vGZFri06imK7qLyqF5 4ymEP5e3WGnCzlgA1cehCJ1BMKbkC6cowYK9I=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:to:reply-to:subject:in-reply-to:x-mailer :mime-version:content-type; b=Ww0ts+AuoK3bQ8UfBnC5b6ciYZ46RIA8v/xb2GxX0lILFQp4qTIGo1TkjZAoqQI8/z TwgmgUivyzQxrNbfNlsDRic1OPE3D/7p00PidJ/OPsDJUnIYasmoWlKeWxfcvz8Z+7yN WdfYiDcd18YmuebXlr+Lu1IeSqdaOyzvnrsK8=
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
I was taught that a period is a stop sign and a comma is a yield sign.
The comma triangle just happens to have the same orientation as a yield sign.
-Michael Roney, Jr.
Professional Klingon translator
--Sent from my Palm PreMorphemeAddict@wmconnect.com wrote:
In a message dated 7/7/2009 10:31:24 Eastern Daylight Time,
> Based on the Unicode proposal, and the keyboard mappings I've run
> across, that's exactly backwards. The comma is the downward-pointing
> triangle, and the full stop is the upward-pointing triangle...
> Which use matches the Skybox cards?
Skybox uses pointing up for sentence finals (periods, question marks,
exclamation marks) and pointing down for other (commas, semicolons).
I think of it like this: the pointing-up triangle has its base firmly on
the ground and can't topple over; it's stable and firm on its own. The
pointing-down triangle can fall over, so it's unstable and must be supported on