tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 07 22:33:51 2009

Re: Klingon orthography (was: Okrand at qep'a')

Michael Roney, Jr. ([email protected])

I was taught that a period is a stop sign and a comma is a yield sign.
The comma triangle just happens to have the same orientation as a yield sign.

~naHQun

-Michael Roney, Jr.
Professional Klingon translator
http://twitter.com/roneyii

--Sent from my Palm [email protected] wrote:

In a message dated 7/7/2009 10:31:24 Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> Based on the Unicode proposal, and the keyboard mappings I've run
> across, that's exactly backwards.  The comma is the downward-pointing
> triangle, and the full stop is the upward-pointing triangle...
>
> Which use matches the Skybox cards?

Skybox uses pointing up for sentence finals (periods, question marks,
exclamation marks) and pointing down for other (commas, semicolons).

I think of it like this: the pointing-up triangle has its base firmly on
the ground and can't topple over; it's stable and firm on its own.  The
pointing-down triangle can fall over, so it's unstable and must be supported on
both sides.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level