tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 02 11:14:26 2009

Re: Alternatives to Code2000 PUA Klingon Font

ghunchu'wI' ([email protected])

On Jul 2, 2009, at 1:39 PM, [email protected] wrote:

> While it's nice to have some variation, I prefer the KLI font.

I think the intent of the font qa'vaj made available is to extend the
ten Klingon symbols from the Bitstream "Star Trek Pi" font into a
complete pseudo-pIqaD character set.  The Bitstream folks apparently
redrew the original Astra Image symbols using what they considered
"modern typographic style" concepts, mostly making the letters look
more consistent.  I believe they successfully met that goal, and I
believe qa'vaj successfully made it into a font usable for writing
Klingon.  It looks good and it's readable in both large and small
sizes.  It seems that it might be easy on the eye in large blocks of
text.  It is definitely better than the Code2000 "pIqaD" characters.

However, I too prefer Lawrence's realization of the "classic"
typeface.  There's something pleasingly organic about it.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level