tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 28 08:10:32 2009

Re: KLBG Translation assistance

Doq ([email protected])

Keep in mind that Klingons are a people who have a word for "weapon",
but lack one for a "tool". I don't think they'd have separate words
for non-weapon explosives because they likely think of them as weapons
first, and as having a constructive function secondarily.

In other words, a Klingon would never consider using a tool as a
weapon because they don't understand that an object could be a tool.
They only understand that some weapons can be used in a tool-like way,
though they don't have a word for "tool".

A human sees a claw hammer as a tool that can be used as a bludgeon. A
Klingon sees the claw hammer as a bludgeon that can be used to hammer
nails.

Given that, I think {jorwI'} is fine for "explosive ordinance", since
there aren't really words here for non-ordinance objects that involve
explosives, though there are non-ordinance uses for some explosive
ordinances.

Am I saying this clearly?

I carry a knife. I think of it as a tool. If I needed a weapon, I
probably wouldn't think of using it, because to me, it is a tool, not
a weapon. If someone pointed it out to me, I would notice that, yep, I
could use this knife as a weapon, but that's not why I carry it.

A Klingon sees a paper clip as a weapon. By the way, it can also hold
pieces of paper together, whenever you aren't actively using it as a
weapon.

Doq

Back to archive top level