tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 08 08:54:37 2009

Re: Conlang music

steve . weaver ([email protected])

Would our rendition of *bIngO' count? I don't think I saved a copy of that, though and after all these years, I don't remember much except the laughter.
Please post your poems

Soqra'tIS
-------------- Original message from David Trimboli <[email protected]>: --------------

> > Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 11:43:43 -0800
> > From: [email protected]
> >
> >> What music do you know of whose lyrics are in a conlang?
> >>
> >> Have any of you created such?
> >>
> >> (FWIW, we're also interested in using such music for the LCS
> >> podcast.)
>
> Elizabeth Lawrence wrote:
> > I wrote a lullaby in klingon, and I know Qanqor HoD has written a
> > number of original pieces. There are also any number of other people
> > who have translated songs into klingon, but I'm guessing you are more
> > interested in the original works.
>
> A lot of people have written original Klingon songs and poems. I have.
> Be careful though: some of us are protective of our copyrights!
>
> I once wrote a Klingon poem in iambic pentameter as part of a qep'a'
> qaDHom (an informal challenge at a conference). I've got it floating
> around somewhere; I should upload it to my website. I also wrote one in
> alliterative verse: http://www.trimboli.name/klingon/ghuHmoHQoQ.html
>
> I have not set either to music. KLINGON FOR THE GALACTIC TRAVELER (ISBN
> 978-0671009953) has a lot of information on Klingon music, including the
> fact that it's usually in a nonatonic scale:
> /wiki/index.php?nonatonic%20scale
>
> --
> SuStel
> Stardate 9022.9