tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 18 22:09:18 2009

Re: "matay'DI' jIHegh vIneH!"

Doq ([email protected])

Okay, consider this one:

bIHeghDI' batlh qatlhej vIneHneS.

Instead of wanting to yank the other person around when I, the center
of the Universe, dies, I prefer to suggest that the other person's
life is treasured equal to my own, or moreso. When your life is done,
so is mine.

Doq

On Feb 18, 2009, at 11:53 AM, qurgh lungqIj wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 11:17 AM, Terrence Donnelly <
> [email protected]> wrote:
>> To me, the original is a variation on "Till death do us part": "I
>> want to
>> be together until one of us dies."  None of the examples captures
>> that
>> sentiment (wish we could see the original in Japanese!).  How about
>> turning
>> it completely around:
>>
>> mayIntaHvIS, matay' vIneH.
>>
>> -- ter'eS
>>

> DuSaQ'a'Daq Japanese Hol vIHaDpu'. De'vam vIchellaH.
>
> The Japanese say the following to express love:
>
> (watashi wa) (anata no koto) suki desu - I like you (litterally it
> would
> mean: I am liking your thing)
> (watashi wa) (anata no koto) daisuki desu - I really like you (lit:
> I am
> really liking)
> (watashi wa) ai suru - I love you (lit: I am doing love) (ai is non-
> physical
> love)
> (watashi wa) koi suru - I love you (lit: I am doing love) (koi is
> romantic
> physical love)
>
> The bits in brackets are optional.
>
> The "I want to die with you" sentence would be something like:
>
> çãããããæããããã
> watashi wa anata to shinitai no - I want to die with you
> watashi wa (I, topic)
> anata to (you, with)
> shinitai (want to die)
> no (this is japanese shortening, the full version would have
> something like
> shinitai kimochi which means "the feeling of wanting to die")
>
> qurgh

Back to archive top level