tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 07 13:40:44 2009

RE: Request for translation in Klingon

Steven Boozer ([email protected])

Michael Everson <[email protected]> wrote:
>> in original Romanian language the sentance is like this "cu multÄ
>> simpatie"  or if it is easier  you could translate "cu multÄ
>> prietenie"

marqoS:
> I think Tracy was right on this one (maj!).  Romanian "simpatie"
> *can* mean "sympathy", but it can also just mean "congeniality",
> "approval", "fellow-feeling" - in other words, simpÃtico.  The
> second translation, with prietenie ("friendship", "kindness"),
> would seem to confirm the intended reading. So I would offer an
> appropriate message for a friendly gift, not condolences.
>
> Upon reflection, though, it could still go either way.  Better to
> ask for clarification on the purpose of the gift, I think.

TKW 145:  Worf told Jeremy, whose mother had been killed, "In my tradition, we do not grieve the loss of the body. We celebrate the releasing of the spirit."

  vaj malopmeH tlhIHvaD nob SaSuqpu'
  So to celebrate, I've gotten you all a gift. (Hallmark)

There is a Klingon saying that would fit either sense "sympathy":

  yIlop!  wa'leS chaq maHegh!
  Celebrate!  Tomorrow we may die! TKW

Good for all occasions!

--