tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 05 06:34:47 2009

Suffix {-taH} on verbs referring to states

Agnieszka Solska ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

QIvam vIlabta'. pawDI' moH. DaH vIlabqa'. chaq moHbe'.

SIv Chris Doty:

> A more important question, perhaps, is:
> can stative verbs take <-taH>??

ghunchu'wI' already mentioned {rIntaH}, which literally means
"it continues to be finished/accomplished".

I found the following examples in canon:

   Hem tlhIngan Segh 'ej maHemtaH 'e'wIHech.
      Klingons are a proud race, and we intend
      to go on being proud.
      (TKW, p.13)

   tay'taHbe' 'Iw bIQ je.
      Blood and water don't mix.
       (TKW, p. 34)

It may seem that {tay'}, "be together," is a verb referring
to an action, not a state. However, the following example
from canon shows that it can in fact refer to a state and can
even be used to modify nouns:

   wo' tay' tlhInganpu' maH!
   We are U.K. Klingons!
      (We are together Empire Klingons!)
      (RADIO TIMES)

'ISqu'

Keep your friends updated—even when you’re not signed in.
http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/windows/windowslive/see-it-in-action/social-network-basics.aspx?ocid=PID23461::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-xm:SI_SB_5:092010

Back to archive top level