tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 05 06:31:15 2009

Suffix {-choH} on verbs referring to actions:

Agnieszka Solska ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

QInvam vIlabta'. pawDI' moH. DaH vIlabqa'. chaq moHbe'.

Chris Doty commenting on canon examples involving {-choH}:

>All of these examples have <-choH> attached to a verb
>that describes a state or a quality (often called in
>linguistics stative verbs).  It might well be that <-choH>
>marks an entrance into a specific state.
>The exception to this is for verbs of motion, but
>since Okrand specific states that <-choH> goes with verbs
>of motion, I think that's fine.  But where do we not see
><-choH>? With verbs that actually describe an action
>(i.e., active verbs).

One of the examples listed by Voragh had {'uch} in it.
Another one had {qaS} it it. Surely, both verbs refer
to actions:

   wa' jaj 'etlh 'uchchoHlaH tlhIngan puqloD
   jajvetlh loD nen moj.
     The son of a Klingon is a man
     the day he can first hold a blade.
     (TKW, p. 177)

   laS veghaS HIltonDaq <<Hov leng: yIjeSchu'>> qaSchoHmo',
   bIlopqu'meH HIlton yIghoS.
      Come celebrate the grand opening of "Star Trek:
      The Experience" at the Las Vegas Hilton.
      (STX)

I have another example in my notes, though one might argue
that paying attention or concentrating does not constitute
an action:

   jemS tIy qIrq. loDHom jIHDI' qIrq qun vIqImchoH.
      James T. Kirk. I've followed his history since I was a boy.
      (MO's ST5 notes)

'ISqu'

Windows Live Hotmail: Your friends can get your Facebook updates, right from Hotmail®.
http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/windows/windowslive/see-it-in-action/social-network-basics.aspx?ocid=PID23461::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-xm:SI_SB_4:092009

Back to archive top level