tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 02 21:10:52 2009

Re: Ungrammaticality in KGT

Christopher Doty ([email protected])

Oh, huh, there it is... Geez, I am spacey these past few days.

I see what you were talking about now.  I do think this is a bit
different than simply saying that native speakers say ungrammatical
things: word play is always active in language, and breaking rules for
a specific effect isn't the same, to my mind, as saying that speakers
break rules period.

Nonetheless, I see what you were getting at.  As Okrand notes, though,
anything that one of us here is doing is skirting dangerous territory,
as it might not be something that would be understood/said by a
Klingon.

Chris

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 20:41, ghunchu'wI' 'utlh <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 6:44 PM, Christopher Doty <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I finally (after griping earlier) have received my copy of KGT.
>>
>> ghunchu'wI', can you point out where in here it discusses
>> ungrammatical utterances? Do you know off-hand?
>
> I'm pretty sure the section on "Intentional Ungrammaticality" is
> listed in the Table of Contents.
>
> -- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level